Wednesday 25 February 2009

When I first heard Jason Mraz I pegged him as a Jack Johnson wannabe, in other words inoffensive but largely dull musically and vocally.

I was completely wrong.

Granted some of the tracks on "We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things" at first listen might seem a little too simple. "Live High" seemed unimpressive to me until I listened a little closer - the lyrics are quirky, the vocals are right on the money, and the chorus is just, well life-affirming. By far my favourite song on the album is "Butterfly" which has a funky, contemporary feel with great stops, outstanding brass and intricate vocal work. All comparisons to good ol' Jack are dead in the water from herein.

There is enough variety on this album to suit a range of moods and to satisfy the desire for good musicianship, great vocals, and most importantly good tunes.

Mraz has successfully blended jazz/pop/acoustic genres to create something quite unique. There might even be a little bit of Michael Jackson in there, hey perhaps enough to make you wanna dance. I thoroughly recommend the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment